We were hoping that both Marah and Chloe would make it out here yesterday but only one of them did. Marah was on the 0645 flight and after multiple delays it was cancelled due to the morning fog (her second day of cancelled flights). Chloe lucked out with the later 0945 flight that arrived in Dutch Harbor in the clear afternoon skies. In the afternoon Marah emailed me that she was rebooked onto today’s 1400 flight. That left me with a dilemma since the ship was supposed to depart at 0900 this morning. We only have a few days of ship time and in that short span we have to transit 100 km over to Umnak Island and deploy 54 ocean bottom electromagnetic receivers along a 300 km profile. Would we have enough time to get the work done if we waited around for one person?
The science team already has 8 people, which is large enough to get the work done efficiently and safely, so we could get by without Marah. However, i’ve never left anyone behind before, and I really didn’t like the idea of leaving someone behind in Dutch Harbor, especially since Shell has apparently booked all the hotel rooms in town for the next month, so we started taking a closer look at the survey timeline and looking for ways to be more efficient. The first thing I did was to check with the Captain to learn the latest offshore weather forecast, which predicts mostly good weather, with maybe a little bit of rain and the winds picking up a tad later in the weekend. Nothing that would slow us down. Then Jake, Chris and I strategized how we could prep a lot of the equipment while we are at the dock waiting for Marah’s flight. That would cut down on the time it takes to assemble and deploy the receivers when on station. Based on our performance for past experiments, along with having the instruments prepped and ready to go, we felt confident we could get the work done in time, and thus use up some of our contingency time to delay our departure by 10 hours until Marah’s flight arrives.
Just got the email from Marah who’s sitting on her plane about to depart Anchorage:
“Direct flight, no refueling. And my bags already in dutch.”